There is never a good time for your plumbing to go out, especially if your sewer main starts backing up. Continue reading to learn more.
Unfortunately, blockages can occur in city sanitary mains. If blockages are not detected promptly, sewage from the main can back up into your business or home through floor drains, which is as messy and smelly as it sounds. While you might be able to handle some plumbing issues, calling a trusted emergency professional to help you is necessary.
Signs Your Sewer Main is Backed Up
If your sewer main is backed up, you’ll begin to notice water backing up in strange places. For example, if you run your dishwasher, you might find water gathering in your sink. Or, if you flush your toilet, you could see water coming up from your shower drain. If you see any of these problems, it could signify that your main sewer line is blocked.
What to Do When Your Sewer Main is Blocked
Everybody loves to save money and a do-it-yourself project, but it’s best to leave the work to the experts when it comes to your main sewer line. However, you can do a few things until they arrive. Here’s what you can do:
- CALL THE PROS — The moment you suspect there’s an issue (or you know there’s an issue), and before you do anything else, call in a trusted and knowledgeable professional.
- TURN OFF YOUR WATER — To avoid further problems, such as water damage, turn off your water. Continuing to use your plumbing will only make matters worse. People are creatures of habit, and even when we know the drains are not working, we’ll still try to flush the toilets or the sinks to wash our hands.
- SKIP AT-HOME DRAIN CLEANERS — It may be tempting to try an at-home drain cleaner. Don’t do it! They rarely work and can make the problem even worse. Save your money and wait for the pros to get there.
What Will a Professional Do to Flush Sewer Mains?
There’s a reason that flushing your main sewer line should be left to the professionals. Here’s what they can do for you:
- Sewage Cleanup Services — With sewer backups, cleaning up the mess isn’t enough. Every part of your home that was affected by the mess must be removed and replaced. A knowledgeable professional will efficiently identify what has been contaminated and work to replace it quickly.
- Professional Tools — A professional will have tools to fix problems like an industrial drain snake or hydro-jetter. For more significant issues, they may have to dig and remove tree roots or replace broken pipes.
- Health Hazard Fixes — There’s no doubt that a sewer backup is nasty and hazardous to your health. In addition to bacteria, viruses, and parasites being present in the water itself, these pathogens can be found in the air. A pro will use specialized negative air machines to filter the contaminants out, so you and your family aren’t breathing in sewage fumes.
After a Sewer Main Backup, Contact Restoremasters
If you’ve found a sewer main backup in your Salt Lake or Utah County property, call the knowledgeable pros at Restoremasters to handle the mess. With decades of experience, our skilled technicians can effectively and efficiently mitigate, clean up, and get your home back to its former state so you can get back to everyday life sooner. Experience the Restoremasters different today, and contact us now.