You may not notice water damage until it’s visible, and then once leaking occurs, you’re in for some significant expense. Learn about the early signs of roof water damage and some solutions that won’t break the bank.
What Early Signs Should I Look for in Roof Water Damage?
There are several warning signs you can observe if your roof has water damage. Some of these signs include missing shingles and water stains on the ceiling. When you see the warning signs, you know your roof has suffered damage. To help you become aware, we point out the telltale signs of roof water damage.
Other Signs of Water Damage
Homeowners and business owners need to pay attention to these warning signs and obtain the necessary repairs, so the problem doesn’t worsen. The warning signs include:
- Water spots on the ceiling are a good indication of water damage, but it may be challenging to target the origin of the leak.
- Water spots on the wall’s exterior of buildings show damage to the step flashing – the section where the roof meets the wall. This area may rust or loosen over time, causing the rainwater to leave water spots. It’s quite tricky to replace the step flashing, so instill the help of a roofing professional to fix this issue.
Cracking and blistering shingles are signs of UV damage in old and loose granules. Aside from damaging the aesthetic appeal of the property, damaged shingles leave the roof prone to water leaks. If not fixed quickly, it could result in irreparable damage to the roofing system.
- Granite filled gutters are a good sign that the roof has water damage. Shingle granules may come off the roof surface when there’s a storm, or due to aging. If you see a lot of shingles coming off, you need to replace the roof granules. You can tell if the shingles are smooth or have bald spots that they’re damaged. Check the manufacturer’s warranty first and then follow up with a residential roof repair professional to inspect the damage and the need to repair or replace them.
- Soft or spongy wood decking is a strong indication of roof water damage. If you notice water spots on the deck while walking on the roof, it’s a sign your roof is leaking and must be repaired before allowing anyone to walk on it.
Preventing Water Damage
Before water damage impacts your roof, consider the following prevention tips. Some proactive steps you can take include:
- Replacing missing shingles as soon as you discover them gone
- Fixing ponding surfaces
- Inspecting your attic ceiling regularly
- Removing any ice buildup during heavy snows
- Cleaning your gutters often
- Inspecting flashing around vents, valleys, chimneys, pipes, and skylights for water spots or leaks, which occurs when the flashing is rusted, bent, or loses its seal.
If you notice any of the warning signs, contact a roof specialist at RestoreMasters to do a thorough inspection, so you can identify any issues and get them repaired or replaced promptly. We have experienced specialists who can take care of the problem, so you and your family stays safe.