Your home is a place where you should feel safe and comfortable. One way to quickly lose those feelings is discovering you have a mold problem in your home. No home owner wants to hear that they have mold. While mold can be removed, if the issue is left untreated it can be a long, painful process. The best thing you can do is stop mold before it becomes a problem. To do that, you’ll need to know what to look for. Here’s how to spot mold early on…
Hopefully you’ve got a good nose, because one of the best ways to spot mold is actually with smell rather than sight. Mold has a very distinct, pungent smell. If you notice one particular area of your home smells a little “off”, if may be your clue that mold is present. You may have tried a few methods to remove the smell (like baking soda or other household cleaners), and if those don’t work it’s time to look into the possibility of mold. Often times mold may be growing behind walls or wall paper, making it difficult to find or even address the issue. If you have strange smells, it’s a good idea to contact a company that specializes in mold removal.
There are actually little bits of mold all around in nature, and living completely without mold is impossible. But when the amount of mold reaches a certain level, it can cause various health symptoms. These may not be seen in everyone; some are more susceptible to the effects of mold than others. But if the health of anyone in your home begins to decline and their symptoms match that of those associated with the presence of mold, the mold issue needs to be addressed immediately.
If there is mold in your home some of your family members may experience asthma, sore eyes, itchy skin, a runny nose, sneezing, coughing, or a sore throat. If multiple people experience these symptoms, and they seem to improve if they leave the home, you can bet mold is the culprit.
Signs of Water Problems
Where there is moisture, odds are there is mold too. If you know you have water problems in your home it is a good indication that if you look you will spot mold. The key is to catch both the water problem, and the mold growth as quickly as possible. Water damage on its own can be a major issue. When coupled with mold growth things can get out of hand very quickly. (Moisture and damp conditions make for the perfect environment for mold to grow!) If you don’t catch it quickly, mold will spread and become a major issue on other areas of your home as well. If you are in need of a restoration company, whether it be for water damage, mold removal, fire damage, or even vandalism, be sure to give RestoreMasters of Utah a call. With a trained and professional staff, you’ll be back in your home in no time, as comfortable and safe as before.