Wherever there’s moisture, there’s sure to be mold—and where there’s mold, health problems are bound to arise. If you spot black mold in your home, it’s best to stop its growth immediately so that you don’t develop nasal stuffiness, throat and eye irritation, and coughing.
Continue reading to learn about the hazards of black mold growth.
Is Black Mold Dangerous?
As a pervasive substance, mold can grow in a variety of forms, many of which are non-toxic; however, individuals with asthma and allergies may experience more complications when exposed to it. Black mold, also known as Stachybotrys chartarum, is the most dangerous offender because it can cause or worsen respiratory issues. Unfortunately, this type of mold spreads at an alarming pace, primarily in bathrooms, basements, under-sink cabinets, and recently flooded rooms.
Homeowners need to take action immediately if they notice black mold growth. Follow our expert advice to remove black mold from your home.
First, you’ll need to locate the source of mold in your home. You can identify black mold based on its slimy texture, dark green or black color, and growth that appears as spots or patches. The following areas are impacted most by black mold:
- Covered areas, such as under sinks or cupboards
- Corners of the room (especially in your bathroom)
- Under cardboard boxes
- Anywhere with high moisture levels
Don’t underestimate your nose. If you smell something musty, you should follow the scent to its source. Use a flashlight to help you inspect crannies, nooks, and dark corners.
Once you detect the offending growth, you’ll need to create a mold-fighting solution. Although several store-bought products can treat mold, their harsh chemicals may be harmful to your family’s health, especially if you have children. We recommend creating a mix of tea tree oil and grapefruit seed extract to disinfect and deodorize the problem region. Best of all, these products are non-toxic, so you won’t have to worry about exposing your loved ones to harmful chemicals.
Fill up a spray bottle with water. For every one cup of water inside your bottle, you’ll need to add a teaspoon of tea tree oil and grapefruit seed extract. These oils have a long shelf life, so your mixture might last up to one year.
Before removing the black mold, you’ll need to gear up. Wear the following:
- Disposable coveralls
- Airtight safety goggles
- Rubber gloves
- Face mask
Thoroughly shake your spray bottle, then spray the problem areas until they’re saturated. Let the solution sit on the mold for approximately ten minutes so that the antibacterial properties can work through the grime. Use a nylon bristle brush to scrub the surface area to lift the dampened mold.
Dealing with Black Mold? Contact RestoreMasters
Although you can reduce the amount of black mold in your home, there’s a possibility it might grow back. At RestoreMasters, our team specializes in residential and commercial mold removal.
Our experts have the equipment to treat your mold infestation to ensure it won’t regrow. Our goal is to get you back in your home comfortably and safely.
We service Salt Lake and Utah counties. Contact us today to learn more.