Every house develops mold at some point. This substance darkens your bathroom’s corners, can stain every room’s walls, and spread in between tiles. Not only that, but mold is unsightly and can deteriorate your wood’s quality. 

 

How do you stop the spread of this icky substance? Find out in today’s blog. 

 

The Dangers of Mold Growth

One of the worst parts about the presence of mold is that it can become increasingly harder to remove over time. When it comes to removing this substance, time is of the essence because different types of mold can result in respiratory diseases or aggravate pre-existing ones. Furthermore, mold releases spores that can cause allergic reactions in people without allergies. 

 

Fortunately, if the damage is small, you can attempt to get rid of it yourself. Continue reading to find out how to remove mold from your home. 

 

Step 1: Identify the Mold

It’s important to identify the type of mold you’re dealing with so that you can clean it accordingly. The two primary types of black mold are mildew and dirt mold. An easy way to identify different kinds of mold is by testing them with bleach. Use a few drops of laundry bleach on the spots of mold; if the drops disappear easily, you’re most likely dealing with mildew. 

 

Mildew mold will fade away with a simple bleach treatment, but black mold will still linger. If you have respiratory issues, such as asthma, it’s best to let a professional deal with black mold. 

 

Step 2: Follow Safety Precautions

Above all else, when you’re dealing with mold, it’s detrimental that you gear up to protect yourself from its adverse effects. Unfortunately, wearing a thin mask will not be enough to protect you. You’ll need to wear clothes that you can discard immediately after, so be careful not to wear anything of sentimental value. Additionally, you’ll need to wear goggles and gloves; never touch mold without protective gear. 

 

Mold spores can readily travel through the air, so remember to use proper ventilation in the room while cleaning. Make sure you have your brushes, bleach, rags, gloves, disinfectants, and everything else you’ll need before cleaning. 

 

Step 3: Remember to Remediate

It’s not enough to clean mold off the surface of your walls; you’ll need to remediate your home, which includes the use of biocide. Biocide is an EPA-approved liquid that kills mold. It’s important to note that bleach is not an EPA-certified mold remover. If you’ve never sprayed biocide before, it’s best to leave it to expert mold remediators who can spray it in a safe manner that won’t harm your family. 

 

Mold Infestation? RestoreMasters Can Help

Although you can clean up minor mold infestations on your own, if it’s spreading to the rest of your home, it’s time to consult with a team of professional mold remediators. RestoreMasters specializes in mold removal, and we use negative air machines to ensure it won’t grow back. 

 

We service Salt Lake and Utah Counties. Contact us today to learn more. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *