After Emergency Strikes

Call Us Now

3 Reasons Why DIY Mold Removal is Dangerous

3-Reasons-Why-DIY-Mold-Removal-is-Dangerous

If you are thinking about a do-it-yourself mold removal approach to your mold problem, you may want to reconsider for your safety.

Between leaky roofs, damaged windows and doors, and faulty appliances or plumbing, there are many reasons why mold can grow in your home. In addition to being off-putting and displeasing, mold can cause numerous health concerns, such as breathing problems, allergies, and infections. Tackling a mold problem yourself may seem doable, but as tempting as it may be, a lot more goes into addressing the issue than you may realize. Mold has the potential to be incredibly dangerous, so it should always be handled by a professional.

Continue reading to learn more.

3 Reasons Why DIY Mold Removal Is a Bad Idea

  1. Mold Needs to Be Located and Identified Accurately — Everyone knows that mold thrives in moist, dark environments, but a lot more goes into precisely locating and identifying mold. Likely sources and locations of mold could be leaking pipes in a windowless bathroom or under the kitchen sink or a broken window or cracked foundation in the basement. But pinpointing the exact problem isn’t always easy. Many sources of mold problems are hidden and are not easily accessible. 

There are many types of mold, and identifying which kind of mold you’re dealing with isn’t easy for just anyone. Some varieties are more dangerous than others, so having a professional handle the job is necessary. An expert eye is needed to determine the exact type of mold and the severity of the outbreak.

  1. Cleaning Mold is Dangerous — The average homeowner is not trained to clean and eradicate the issue properly. Treating mold yourself means risking your health and the health of those around you. Mold spores are known to cause your respiratory system problems like sneezing, watery eyes, and a runny nose. Those with a compromised immune system are at a greater risk of illnesses and irritation.

Different types of mold require different (and proper) cleaning methods. This means, if you do not have the right tools, cleaning solutions, and techniques, you may be doing more harm than good. Spores can become airborne and can quickly spread. Avoid this issue entirely by hiring a knowledgeable professional.

  1. Mold Can Make a Comeback — If a professional does not address and eradicate mold, it can come back again and again. Which is why DIY methods are not ideal. Mold does not simply go away with some soap and hot water. Not even the products purchased at the store will get rid of mold 100%. The DIY approach may seem wise and cost-effective at first, but you’ll be investing a lot more time and money in the long run if you decide to do it yourself. 

An experienced professional has the knowledge, skillset, products, and equipment to contain and kill the mold spores entirely. Moreover, they’ll be able to give you pro-tips to ensure you avoid mold regrowth from occurring.

Skip the DIY Mold Removal and Contact Restoremasters

There’s no reason for DIY mold removal when you can call the experts at Restoremasters. Our team of skilled technicians has decades of experience and will restore your home to its former state. Whether your Salt Lake City home has been affected by fire and smoke, flood, mold, and more, contact the pros at Restoremasters today.

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on google
Google+
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on pinterest
Pinterest

Recent Posts